Upon completion of the First Year Experience, you have the opportunity to continue in Blue Chip and select a leadership theme. The themes are one of the many ways for you to tailor your leadership development. You can choose a theme that corresponds to your major, hobby, or interests. Regardless of the theme you select, you will learn about the importance of creating positive change in your community and the world around you. Once you select a theme, you will engage in activities that will help you shape your leadership skills.
All themes are interdisciplinary and are applicable to every major!
The Six Themes
Arts: You will...
- Learn how the arts can create positive change.
- Learn to incorporate insight of the arts into your leadership.
- Learn to communicate messsages to the world through the performing arts, graphic arts, creative arts, or media arts.
Community Development: You will...
- Learn about creating positive change by focusing on the ways you can address issues present in society.
- Learn how to address the issues that have an impact on the community.
- Learn the importance of working together to create equity and equality.
Eco: You will...
- Learn about creating positive change through environmental interactions and sustainable leadership.
- Learn about the consequences of certain environmental issues.
- Learn how people have a responsibilty to the environment.
Global: You will...
- Learn about creating positive change through political, economic, and community issues.
- Learn how to work together with others in an effective, inclusive, and peaceful manner.
- Learn about issues from a global perspective to create positive change.
Health & Wellness: You will...
- Learn about creating postive change from a health & wellness perspective.
- Learn how to address health related issues that have an impact on the community.
- Learn the importance of working together on issues to create equity and equality so that people have the knowledge and means to live healthy lives.
Social Entrepreneurship: You will...
- Learn how you can use innovative business practices to create positive change.
- Learn elements of social entrepreneurship and socially responsible business practices.
- Learn how to make a profit and have a social mission.